Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Siam Thai - Total Miss


Good asian food is something that I have yet to find in Napa. But I am on a hunt, and Siam Thai did not fit the bill. Thai food isn't my staple in Asian cuisine, but when it's good I will not turn it down. For example, last month in Sacramento I had Thai twice in one day. Both places were good, the last being so exceptionally good that I was very much over being mad that I had to eat the same type of food twice by the first bite.

In other words, here's the reason why I disliked this place. The food was BLAND! A true detriment to the type of food that was being served. Thai food is something that I associate with such flavors as cumin, lemon grass, curry, coriander. This meal was like the geriatric home of thai food.

First we started out with fresh spring rolls. They were supposed to have rice paper, rice noodles, mint, tofu. It was more like rice paper and noodles. I'm not the biggest fan of mint, but even bigger mint pieces would have been better than tiny afterthoughts. The tofu looked like the stuff that you find freeze dried in a diy noodle bowl. I didn't take a picture of it, but here's Eric perfect reaction to what this dish felt like:

For the main course Eric had Red Curry with chicken:

And I had their Pad Thai with Shrimp, Tofu and Chicken:

As far as looks go, it all looked very appealing. But Eric described his dish as neither red, nor curry. And mine was bland as can be with a really dry taste. During the whole dish I felt as though it was missing something, and it wasn't until I took leftovers to work the next day (when you're poor, bad leftovers are still food) that I realized it was missing lemon grass. So I added the juice of a lemon and it was a whole lot better. Honestly, Eric made better pad thai from a box a few days before. Lesson of the meal, if I want pad thai i'll go to whole foods and buy a box for $2.99 and have Eric cook it for me.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, the Asian foods are awesome; I can't stop myself to eat it..........

    Nicole

    Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that there has to be some good asian food places out here on the West cost but seriously what is the deal with dust bowl Tucson having so many good ethnic food joints and so-cal having none so far?

    ReplyDelete