Monday, August 24, 2009

Ubuntu - Anniversary Dinner

For our second anniversary Eric and I planned on going to Ubuntu. For those that have never heard of it, Ubuntu is a farm-to-table vegetarian based restaurant headed by Chef Jeremy Fox and his Pastry Chef (wife) Deanie Fox. Along with the restaurant, Ubuntu also includes a yoga studio and a biodynamic garden.

The inside of Ubuntu. Upstairs is the yoga studio, which you can see into when your dinning through the windows. There is a bar to the left and the hot prep area is in the back. The rest of the kitchen is behind doors between the bar and the hot prep station.
We started off the meal with Crispy Beet Green Fritters. The horseradish creme was paired really well with this dish.
The menu, which changes depending on what is in season in their garden. Everyday they print out new menus, with a lunch and dinner version.
I made Eric dress up for dinner.

Benzinger Salad: cucumbers and smoked eggplant. Probably one of my favorite dishes. The miso bathed cucumber was totally aligned with my taste-buds.
Heirloom Tomatoes, simply sliced, "polka" corn pudding. My least favorite dish of the meal, but still good. I love tomatoes, but for me it was too sweet. I felt that it needed something more savory to balance it out.
Expression of Summer Squash, scented with Vadouvan. Another great dish. The squash wasn't too soft or too hard. And the broth had a nice summer "hearty" taste.
Homemade gnocchetti pasta with split French beans. This dish was Italian with a strong Middle Eastern influence. Delicious, smelled and tasted a bit like perfume, but the kind you'd like to eat.
Desert was "Cheesecake" with a berry preserve. The rolls were honey crisps with powdered sugar. Now I generally dislike cheesecake, but this wasn't as cheesy as some or as sweet as others that i've had before.

All in all I give this place two huge thumbs up! Great food, interesting atmosphere. I do think that they need more servers, because they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off when they started to get busier. I'll be back here again in the Fall, I've heard that their baked cauliflower casserole is spectacular.


1 comment: